Facts about the fishes you may not know…..
- Seahorse males are the only males in nature that give birth.
- When a moray eel open and closes it’s mouth, its only taking a breath. Not trying to take a bite.
- Chewing can be a pain wit no teeth so frogfish just swallow their food whole.
- Getting slapped by a fish is a thing, as the thresher sharks uses its tail to slap prey when hunting.
- Who can share the love more, well an octopus has three hearts. With a lot of love to give.
- Tucking themselves in at night parrotfish create their own mucus sack to sleep in at night, that keeps them safe from predators.
- A boxing opponent like the peacock mantis shrimp that has the power to vaporise water with a single punch, would be a little daunting.
- Sea sponges are the true dinosaurs of the oceans, they have been around for hundreds of millions of years.
- When lying on a beach you are on top of poop, yes parrotfish are responsible for over 85% of the worlds beaches. Now that’s a pooper trooper…..
- If you see a group of Jellyfish to warn your friends quickly you can say get out it’s smack. The term used for a group of Jellyfish…..
- The truth about Nemo was that his father would change to a female, as most fish are hermaphrodites and so to recreate the family sacrifices are made. However this situation would not make for a moral story in a disney movie……
- The cheerleaders of the reef team are boxer crabs that carry anemones around like pom poms. Always cheering for their favourite team…….
Joins us next time for some fun facts, and sign up for a fish ID course to learn more facts about your favourite marine life.