This is a great course for those who want to learn more about fish, coral and other marine life and want to contribute something back to the reef. The course teaches you the methods used for collecting data for scientific research and on the final day of the course, you will design and implement your own survey which will be submitted for scientific use on Koh Tao.
The regional economies and ecosystems depend largely on the health of coral reefs, which are declining in many areas due to human activities both on land and in the sea. Without these coral reef ecosystems, much of the tourism on Koh Tao would cease and could lead to a collapse of Koh Tao’s thriving economy. Through monitoring and research, we hope to identify negative and positive trends in reef health and produce quantitative data that can be used to focus work efforts and influence policy changes.
What do I need to start?
You have to already have completed the Advanced Open Water Diver Course with either SSI or PADI. Big Blue provides all equipment, boat trips, etc., for the duration of the course.
Am I fit to Dive?
How long will it take?
- 9am -12.30pm: You'll meet your instructor and they will take you through the basics of laying a tract, collecting data and fish & invertebrate ID.
- 1.30pm - 4pm: We're out diving on Sairee Reef putting into practice the identification and survey skills you have learned.
- 9am -12.30pm: Your instructor take you through the huge variety of reef life that is categorised as substrate including coral, sponges and lots more
- 1.30pm - 4pm: Another practice dive on Sairee Reef where you will practice identifying substrate in a data collection situation.
- 9am -12.30pm: Test Day! You will be tested on your Fish, Invertebrate and Substrate ID, as well as a general test on the course.
- 1.30pm - 4pm: After designing your survey with the Project supervisor, you will be collecting live data from the permanent transect lines that are laid out at particular dive sites around Koh Tao. Upon return, you will log your data and submit to the Marine Conservation Koh Tao database!
How do I book?
To book your course and accommodation please fill in your details here, listing the courses you are interested in in the comments section. A minimum 10% deposit is required to reserve your course.